In Search of Sanctuary


Sometimes I dream of a perfect yoga practice space. Pristine natural surroundings, melodic bird song, magical cloud formations in a dramatic sky. An even floor surface and no other human being in sight.
Reality, as many practising yogis will agree, is often quite different. We push aside the papers, the text books, the kid’s toys. We move the furniture to create a space just long enough for a yoga mat and the width of our outstretched arms. Far from soft ambient background music and wafting incense, I have often found myself breathing my way into poses to the sound of sports on TV and the smell of steak frying. The fact is, although some of us have spells in peaceful solitude, most of us live with other people. Normal people.  

Yet even in these seemingly bizarre and un-yogic situations, I find it is still possible to focus my mind and enter a deep, sacred space. To become lost, as one of my students very aptly put it, “down the rabbit hole of yoga”.  
A look into the archives of my past yoga practice spaces reveals an eclectic snapshot selection. In the early days it was my bedroom in various shared student houses where I sought sanctuary. I discovered that in order to centre myself and become absorbed in the stories that unfolded from my body, all I needed was a closed door. I would retreat from the piles of washing up, blaring music and essay deadlines and enter the blissful arena of breath.

I remember the view over our overgrown back garden in Relf Rd, Peckham, where I first moved through daily sun salutes. And the small snippet of sea I could glimpse from my beautiful upstairs lair in that old Victorian student house in Brighton.
There have also been many times when I took my yoga practice on tour, to far and wondrous locations. The conifer-lined shores of Swedish lakes, a bird hide at Shimuwini in the Kruger National Park,  an ancient yew tree forest in Southern England, a roof top in Ecuador and a cliff top in India stand out in my memory. Yoga during a day of silence on a journey to sacred Scottish sites, was like something from a lucid dream. Experiencing stillness was easier in these places, but it happened too when I was wrapped in layers next to a gas heater on a concrete floor, or in parallel practice with a fellow teacher, in a gusty windblown campsite. I recently even managed to disappear into yoga inside a tent at a very loud psychedelic trance party.
                                                   La Carolina, Ecuador, 1996


Even when surrounded by people whose main interest was partying, sport or capitalism, I have grasped brief moments of silence. The sanctuary of my practice is a place I can always return to. Like a mudra, the hand position that seals a state of mind into our bodies so we can access it repeatedly, just reporting to my mat and feeling the force of gravity, transports me to that harmonious state again and again.

At times solitude is elusive. Once while working in Chintsa in the Eastern Cape, a young Xhosa girl who I was sharing accommodation with stared at me intently as I moved from pose to pose. In India a fellow yogini and I began our practice in a quiet place outdoors and attracted an audience of fascinated children.   

There have been few times in my life where I have had the luxury of an undisturbed, comfortable and scenic yoga practice. The sun has plagued me, mosquitoes have feasted on me or I have struggled to find alignment on uneven ground. Nature is bumpy. A dry river bed in the arid Karoo seemed ideal until I realised my presence was attracting swarms of savagely hungry ticks, enticed by the possibility of their first meal in weeks.
                                              Mandu, India, 2004

 But I think I attained the ultimate practice space for a while in my days in Tsitsikamma National Park. I had a warm, carpeted little house on a hill overlooking mountains and ocean. I lived alone and could peacefully rise at dawn and watch the sun pop up, while standing in tree pose with arms upstretched to welcome the new day. It was a precious time in my life when I was single, a little lonely, but a blissfully fulfilled yogi. Old friends dubbed it my “celibate phase”. I was on a three-year forest retreat. I meditated on the edges of waterfalls, was visited by gentle bushbuck and curious otters and swooped over by majestic birds of prey. On cold mornings I would cross the Storms River suspension bridge and hike the steep, bracing climb to the viewpoint: a wooden deck overlooking the ribbon of rocky coast, with its dancing waves and sometimes, breaching whales. Warm and invigorated, I would practice warrior poses on my platform in the sky.  All of that was in contrast to my previous life in London where the soundtrack to my yoga practice was the endless thrum of traffic and the rants of drunkards on their way home from the pub. I felt I was in heaven.



                                       Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa 2008


Now, even with the contentment of love and family, I sometimes long to return to the purity of that time, the oneness with nature that was my forest yogini era. Yet it is forever encapsulated in my soul and stored in my cells. So even when practising yoga in a cramped corner with the view of a blank wall, I can revisit all those scenes where in the past I unrolled my mat.

Was I more enlightened in my forest yogini days? Compared to the present when I sandwich my yoga between breastfeeds and nappy changes. This is not the first time I have found myself on a mat exhausted, drained or distracted and it surely won’t be the last. Nothing is constant, except that zone I enter in myself. It’s that still place where, when the moment is right, I can let go, ignore external background noise and detach from internal mental noise. Where I can return to the rhythm of my breath, that eternal yoga sanctuary. No matter if I am on a beach in Thailand or dusty township in Africa, it will always be there, in me.

 

 

Comments